By the Waters of Babylon – Ps 137:1
The Church is in turbulence; this is not news to anybody. Its turbulence is more acute now that we are separated by a quarantine. Maybe the following will help. It is by an anonymous author and appeared in the “Church Times” (England) about twenty-five years ago.
A new Ten Commandments
- Thou shalt revere the teachings of the Church. Respect its 2000 years of wisdom, scriptural revelation, and tradition.
- Thou shalt pray a lot.
- Thou shalt be aware of the presence of God throughout your day. Our faith is based in relationship, not regulations.
- Thou shalt concentrate on essential truths found in the traditional Creeds of the historic Church.
- Thou shalt read the Bible regularly.
- Thou shalt develop a habit of serious study.
- Thou shalt receive the sacraments faithfully.
- Thou shalt live the original Ten Commandments. The tablets received on Mt. Sinai were not just suggestions.
- Thou shalt concentrate on the heart of our religion: “Love God, Love one another.”
- Thou shalt remember the Paschal Mystery.